Friday, August 14, 2009

Here's What I Know

Years ago I was diagnosed with Dysthymia (a low-grade depression that lasts longer than two years or in my case thirty years.) It is only by the grace of God, loving friends and family, a good Christian counselor, and four years of hard work that I finally climbed out of the dark hole my depression had trapped me in. Today I am blessedly depression-free. That disease will never again eat away at my soul and my life. That's not to say that I don't feel sad from time to time, and yes, even depressed. However, I have learned how to deal with it.

I mention this now because August is usually a time of year that I am susceptible to falling into depression. While I haven't been feeling depressed, I have noticed some of the warning signs. One of the things I've learned to do when I get this way is to articulate what I know. That's what I want to share with you today.

Here's what I know: God loves me and I love him. Even if I don't feel his presence right now, he is here with me. He speaks to me through his Word, so if I want to hear his voice, I just need to open my Bible. He will comfort and protect me. He will heal me. He will teach and guide me. He has provided a home for me to live in and food for me to eat. He's provided a vehicle for me to go from one place to another with ease. He's given me a church home where I belong and a wonderful family and great friends. He's given me a purpose. And he has given me a life worth living.

Here's what else I know: This moment is fleeting. Right now it's here...then just as quickly it's gone. I won't be stuck in this moment forever. I don't know what the next moment will hold. But I choose to have hope in God's good grace that it will better than the one I left behind.

My question to you today is "What do you know?"

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable - think about such things. Philippians 4:8

May you be blessed with an abundance of "whatevers."
About the pictures:
North Park (August 2009)

No comments: