Friday, October 16, 2009

Autumn Leaves - God Doesn't

This past week has been depressingly cold, wet and gray with no sign of it letting up anytime soon. In fact, snow is expected this weekend. It seems like it’s been this way forever. I almost forget what a beautiful sunny day looks like. So today, I woke up with no enthusiasm for getting out of my nice warm bed to greet the cool crisp air of yet another dreary day. However, as I drove to work, something wonderful caught my attention. Everywhere I looked the trees sparkled with the vibrant colors of autumn – oranges, reds, and yellows painted the landscape. The rich brown of the rain-soaked tree limbs and trunks added a stunning contrast against the backdrop of the leaves. I wanted to stop and get out in the rain just to take in this amazing sight. I didn’t, but the drive was enough to brighten up my day. It’s going to be a good day after all. Isn’t that amazing? The weather hasn’t changed. It’s still cold, wet and gray, but somehow I feel like the sun is shining in my day.

Often in our lives, we find ourselves in a dark and dismal place. Something as small as getting the flu or as significant as a loved one’s death can plunge us into a gray existence for a time and we start to wonder if joy will ever be a part of our lives again. Sometimes I think that this is where we see God most clearly. It’s in this place that the beauty of God’s comfort and companionship is the center of our attention. His vibrant presence in our dreary world fills us with the warmth of his indescribable peace and we don’t want to take our eyes off him. Our life circumstances may be gloomy, but God reaches through all of that bringing us great and lasting joy. When I feel like my life is a cold, wet, gray autumn day, I need to search for God with confidence and expectancy in that moment because he has promised in Jeremiah 29:13 that if I seek him with all of my heart, I will find him and unlike the autumn leaves, his brilliance will never fade away.
About the pictures:
Deer Lake Park (October 2009)

3 comments:

Constance Gilbert said...

I know well the gray fog that tries to envelop you... like "autumn leaves but God doesn't."
It's right up there with "God is in the middle of my now."
G
NOW
D

Constance Gilbert said...

oops should be
.G.
NOW
.D.

Green Grandma said...

It has been a difficult autumn for finding joy. Thank you for reminding me once again, where true joy exists.