Friday, March 12, 2010

The Man in My Life

Today, I want to tell you about the wonderful man in my life. For years, as with many great love stories, I wanted nothing to do with him. In fact, I hated him. He was an overly critical, self-absorbed, distant man who had me convinced that I was worthless and invisible. But over the last few years, I have had the privilege of watching God transform him into the loving, caring, protective father I always dreamed I would have. Yes, that’s right. The man in my life is my dad and I love him dearly. God has brought healing to our relationship and everyday I thank him for the man who is my father.

This week, we shared a very tender moment – one of many to come, I believe. His eyes focused on mine and with gentleness and love he said to me “I am committed to taking care of you. Don’t hesitate to come to me when you need anything. I love you. You’re my ‘little girl’ and I’m proud of you.” I felt wholly and dearly loved by this man in that moment – safe and protected. I sat there in silence not wanting to say anything for fear of chasing the moment away. How blessed I am that he is my daddy!

Later that night, as I was thanking God for such a wonderful gift, it occurred to me that this is how God feels about me. Jesus encouraged his followers to call God “Abba” which translate in English to Daddy. It’s a term of love, respect and familiarity. God is my Heavenly Daddy. He is the Almighty Creator of all there is. He is so much more than me and his holiness is awe-inspiring. His power is limitless. I am less than a bug compared to him and yet this awesome God loves me so much that he wants to be my Daddy! He is committed to taking care of me and wants me to come to him immediately with all my needs. He loves me. I am his little girl and he is proud of me. What is even more amazing is that I don’t really deserve his love but he willingly gives it to me anyway.

How great is our God that in a tender moment between father and daughter, he gave me a shining representation of the love and care he has for me. I have a Heavenly Father who loves me more than I can understand and an earthly father whose love is like a hug from God.
About the picture:
Dad - December 2009

2 comments:

Common Household Mom said...

i loved reading this. Thanks!

Green Grandma said...

I, too, experienced healing with my father a couple of years before he died. I've thanked God many times for that opportunity. My dad was not supposed to live past the age of 50, but made 13 years past that. Sometimes I wonder if that was just for me. So I could find healing and forgiveness and finally be able to embrace his love.