Friday, June 18, 2010

Called to Be an Anna


Whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him. Colossians 3:17

A few months ago I saw a movie that celebrated the life of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. He is one of the great American heroes of the twentieth century and will always be remembered for his courage and humble service to the cause of social justice. For the most part, we are so far removed from the mindset and hostile environment that he had to face to get us to this point, that we may not be able to fully comprehend just how courageous he had to be. While the movie downplayed the source of his courage – that kind of bravery and conviction can only come of a soul committed to serving the Lord.

For every great leader that stands out, there is a multitude of nameless, faceless people whose actions will never make it in a history book or be made into a movie of the week. Even so, their lives are no less significant and their actions no less needed or appreciated than those of a celebrated hero. One of my favorite Christian comedians, Chonda Pierce, tells a story of a little old lady named Anna who, through gentle, loving persistence, introduced Chonda’s grandparents to Jesus, and in doing so, changed the lives of not only Chonda’s family, but the lives of all the people her family has reached out to.


I know I am not called to be a leader like Martin Luther King, Jr. but I am called to be an Anna. What does that mean? It means that nothing is too small of a gesture when it is offered in the love of Christ. It means that I must have enough courage to step out in faith to follow the path the Lord has laid out for me, wherever it lead. If all that is meant for me to do is help send a mailing or make a few phone calls – then Lord, let me do that with a deep sense of purpose. If the extent of my calling is to cry with someone who is hurting, then, Lord, let your tears of compassion and empathy flow through me. The Spirit works through even the smallest Christ-centered acts of kindness. These things may not seem to be notable, but they may be essential and the lack of them could have repercussions that ripple through generations just as the giving of them can reach out through me to hundred or thousands of people. I need to be attentive and continually seek the Spirit’s guidance to know where I can help and what I am to do. History may forget me, but God never will.
About the picture:
Blackwater Falls State Park (May 2010)

1 comment:

Common Household Mom said...

Yes, yes, yes. We so often want God to do BIG UNSUAL FAMOUS things, but I believe God is found in the ordinary. Otherwise, what chance would most of us have of encountering God in our lives?

Exquisite photo and perfect for the topic.