Friday, November 5, 2010

God's Quilt

MY MOST RECENT QUILT
This week, I had occasion to sort through the quilt tops I’ve made in the past year. It brought to mind a time in my life many years ago, before I took up the hobby, when my mother tried, to no avail, to get me into quilting. I thought it was silly. Why in the world would anyone waste their time cutting up a perfectly good piece of beautiful fabric just so they could break their backs over a sewing machine for hours upon hours and bleed from their fingers and feet (everyone who sews has dropped pins and needles on the floor only to find them later with their bare feet.) I couldn’t see the sense in it.

MY FIRST QUILT
 Then one day we were in a quilt store – Mom was shopping for fabric for a class – and I saw it! The quilt I had to have in my living room. The quilt I wanted to make. The store had put it on display to advertise a class, but I had already missed the class. Oh no! If I wanted the quilt, I was going to have to learn to make it on my own. Fortunately for me, there was a pattern to follow and the advice of experienced quilters available to me 24/7. I got right to work and within six months, I had learned to select, prepare, cut and sew fabric, and applique, sandwich, hand stitch, and bind a quilt. By the time I had finished my first quilt, I had the quilting bug. I even took a weekend job at a local fabric store for a couple of years to support my quilting habit.

LAP QUILT GIVEN TO FRIEND
My skills have developed and improved over the years as well as my confidence and my willingness to try more difficult patterns. One thing I’ve found to be constant in my quilting is that just before I make that first cut into the fabric, I hesitate for just a moment and say to myself, “Do I really want to cut this beautiful piece of fabric into little pieces.” Then I look at my pattern and knowing how much more beautiful it will be when I finish, I forge ahead with my rotary cutter. Each piece precisely cut, meticulously sown together with purpose and then each block squared up carefully for well-matched corners. I put all of my creativity and skill into making a unique quilt that will someday say “I love you and I’m thinking of you” to someone special in my life.


SUDOKO QUILT TOP
 So what does all of that have to do with God? Well, as I looked at those quilt tops (remember that’s where this started), I saw how my own life has been like an exquisite quilt being made by God. I wonder if God hesitated for a moment before that first time my heart was broken to pieces, and knowing the wonderful plan he had in mind for me, he forged ahead. So many times in my life I thought, “This is it. My life is perfect and I have everything I’ve always wanted.” And then something happens to break my life apart again. Then God takes those pieces and skillfully puts them back together in a new and elegant way and I know a greater love and freedom by his hand. Sometimes God squares up my life with small unwanted changes which, at the time, may seem annoying, but then I later realize the new blessings that these changes have granted me. He is putting all his creativity and skill into making me into his unique masterpiece that expresses his love. Not only am I the recipient of his loving gift but he has made me a loving gift to all people. Just as a quilt is not only beautiful but useful, so I too am beautiful and useful in his eyes.

God’s blessings on your weekend!

1 comment:

Common Household Mom said...

These are incredible works of art. I love the Sudoku quilt! Well, I love all of them, but that one is especially clever. Thank you for sharing the results of your amazing skill.