Monday, May 30, 2011

Freedom Isn't Free

It’s Memorial Day and the older I get, the more this day becomes less about sales and picnics and more about the service and the sacrifice that ensured my freedom to write this blog, to openly attend and work in a church of my choosing, to speak my mind and stand up for what I believe in knowing that my family, my home, and myself are protected from government intimidation or reprisal. If I openly disagree with the leaders of this country, I don’t have to worry about police breaking into my home, dragging me away to who knows where for who knows how long. The laws of this land guarantee that I cannot be detained or arrested without legal cause and assure me the right to due process, legal representation, and protection from abuse from those who enforce the rights of all Americans if I ever find myself in the unlikely event of being in police custody. This assurance came at a huge cost – the service and sacrifice throughout this country’s history of the dedicated men and women of the military and their families. You only need to spend a small amount of time outside of this country to realize how precious those rights and privileges are and how far too easily we take them for granted. It’s not enough, but I offer my thanks and deep appreciation to those who have served and to those who are serving in the military and to their families.
Yes, I am an American, and yet, still, I am a foreigner in this country. My true citizenship lies in an even greater kingdom. I am a citizen of the Kingdom of God. I am a daughter of the King and a servant of the Most High. Just as I owe my human rights and freedom to the sacrifice and service of the noble men and women of the United States Military Service, I owe my spiritual and eternal freedom to Someone other than myself whose sacrifice guaranteed my complete and lasting freedom from sin and eternal protection from sin’s tyranny. Jesus willingly left behind the glory of heaven to be confined within the smallness of humanity to reveal the Father’s love, power and grace which is available to all. He did not come as a human king, but as the Noble Servant. He loved with his Father’s heart those who were unlovable, untouchable, ignorant, poor, sin-ridden and hopeless. He ushered them to the door of his Father’s kingdom and then welcomed them in with his sacrifice on the cross giving them the rights and privileges as Kingdom citizens when he rose from the dead and took his rightful place ruling at God’s side. Even now, thousands of years later, he continues his work of bringing his beloved children into his Kingdom through the work of the Holy Spirit who lives in and reaches out through all servants of the living God.

Remember this day the service and sacrifice of the many brave Americans who believed your freedom was worth their lives. And remember every day the sacrifice of the One who loved you so much, even in the depth of your sin, that to him, his own death on a cross was worth your freedom and redemption.

1 comment:

Common Household Mom said...

"the smallness of humanity" - I like this phrase - it puts us in our place. Thanks for your thoughts.