Monday, July 4, 2011

Blessings I Almost Overlooked

At the beginning of last week, I was feeling just a little sorry for myself. There are some times in my life when I really miss having that “someone special” to share my life with. Someone I can share the day’s events with at dinner. Someone I can sit next to on the couch as we watch our favorite TV show or just someone I can share a thought with. I rarely go on vacation or to the museum or even to see a movie because really, it just isn’t fun if you don’t have someone to share it with. Okay, maybe I was feeling a little more than just a little sorry for myself. I was being downright pathetic.


Then I heard something truly heart-wrenching on KLOVE and I felt like God was reminding me how very blessed and un-alone I really am. A young girl had called into the radio station to ask the DJ to pray for her and her family. Her parents had recently separated, her father and brother no longer lived in the home, and her brother was getting into some serious trouble. She was in tears as she explained how much she missed them and how worried she was about her older brother and just wanted us to pray for them. Her sadness and loneliness reached right out through the radio as she told her story and tugged at my heart. I was ashamed at how I’d been feeling all week.


I began to look at my week through God’s eyes and saw just how populated my world is. My best friend calls me often and drives the hour and a half it takes to spend many weekends with me. My parents and I eat together at least twice a week. I have friends whom I share laughter and conversation with everyday at work. Why this past week, a friend even took the time to read two poems I’d just written just because I wanted to share them with someone. How could I have ever thought I was alone?

I guess it’s true that we really do find what we are looking for. If I’m looking for what I don’t have, I’m going to find it. But if I look for the blessings God has generously placed in my life – I will find those instead!

You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.  Jeremiah 29:13
But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Matthew 6:33
About the pictures:
Pittsburgh, PA (June 2011)

1 comment:

Audrey said...

What a wonderful message. I know that I need to remember this-what we seek is what we will find. When I take the time to focus on the good I am always amazed at how rich my life is. Now, the truth is that my life is always rich...whether I focus on it or not. But,I find myself at a wonderful place of peace and joy when I keep my focus on my blessings rather than my disappointments!