Monday, August 22, 2011

What Jack Sees Are My Priorities

The last couple of weeks, I’ve been thinking about my priorities as I try to make time for my relationship with God, especially in light of the call on my life that I talked about in last week’s blog. Like anyone else, I feel like there are never enough hours in the day to do all the things I want and need to do. And now I’m going to add more stuff to the list! I must be nuts! As I started listing all the things I want to do and never seem to have enough time to do, I knew some sacrifices were going to have to be made. But how do you choose what stays and what goes when it all seems important? 

As I pondered this, an old favorite TV series came to mind. I used to watch a show called “Without a Trace.” Each week, a team of FBI agents specializing in missing persons led by Agent Jack Malone would exhaust themselves to find a missing person. They would find out everything they could about the missing person and try to retrace his movements up until the moment he disappeared in the hopes of locating him alive and unharmed. The agents would visit the missing person’s home and look through his belongings to discover clues that might lead to his whereabouts. They would search his computers files, phone records, and read his emails to learn about the missing person’s character in order to make educated guesses that often led them to the next clue. They followed paper and electronic trails tracking the person’s movements on the day he disappeared in the hopes of discovering what had happened to him. And by the end of the show, they followed the clues right to the missing person who was often alive and usually needing the FBI’s help to return home.

It got me to thinking – What would Jack Malone discover about me if he were to follow the clues of my life on any given day? As he routed through my home, my computer, my texts – what conclusions would he draw about who I am and what is important to me? I can tell you that if he were to show up at my home, he would see that housecleaning is not really high on my list of priorities. What do my possession and my activities say to Jack Malone – to anyone – about who I am and what’s important to me? What do I want my possessions and daily activities to say about me? And does my life say about me what I want it to say about me?

I would hope that my possessions and daily activities show the world that 1) I love Jesus and 2) I love the world of people that Jesus loves and died to save. When I look at my life through this lens, it’s so much easier to decide what will be high on my list of priorities and what will not. That means that there are a lot of things I would like to do that won’t make it onto that list. However, in the eternal scheme of things, I’m okay with that. When I look at it in this way, it doesn’t seem as difficult anymore to carve out the time to spend in prayer and to read and learn God’s Word. I may miss watching a football game now and then or I may have to give up a golf game once in a while. Perhaps I will have to log onto Facebook a little less often and limit the time I spend browsing the internet. I will definitely have to give up my lazy Saturday afternoons curled up on the couch for hours watching mindless TV and I absolutely must organize my time better so that I can spend more time with Jesus. As I mentioned last week, this is going to be a real struggle for me, but if my life is to say to the world that I love Jesus and I love the world of people he died to save, then bring on the challenge because the prize – a deeper more intimate relationship with my Savior – is well worth it and so much more.

What does your life say to the Jack Malones of the world?

About the pictures:
Parkwood Presbyterian Church (July 2011)

2 comments:

Audrey said...

Thank you for this message. I too need to start asking myself what clues would people find from my life...and what priorities would they reflect. Right now, I would be embarrassed to have others see the amount of time that I waste. I'm going to have to work on this. Not soon...but right now!
Thanks for the nudge.

Common Household Mom said...

Jack Malone would discover that I tend to guzzle gasoline.