Monday, September 26, 2011

Resting in the Lord

The last couple of weeks have been extremely busy and somewhat exhausting for me. Between work and personal commitments, I’ve been working 10-12 hour days almost every day for the last two weeks and today after four wonderful hours of worship and service at the church, I collapsed and took that really long nap I’d been looking forward to. My plan was to gather my thoughts after my nap and write this week’s blog but found myself facing an overwhelming case of writer’s block. At first, I was upset with myself because I’ve made a commitment to you and myself to reflect on God in my life and share the hope and wisdom he freely gives me with all of you but then it occurred to me what this week’s lesson really was – Be still and know that I am God! (Psalm 46:10)

Sometimes, we all need to take a break, stop our insane rushing around and remember whose we are and why we are here. And after two weeks of dedicated service, God was telling me today, “Rest. Rest in me and let me renew you.” He is my strength and he is the one who brings the hope I try to share each week. Who better to turn to when we are dry and thirst, when we are exhausted and have nothing left to give. So with that said, I would like to share with you God’s own Word to all of us as a source of hope and reflection this week. May God add his blessing to your reading of His Word.

But now, God's Message, the God who made you in the first place, Jacob,
the One who got you started, Israel:
"Don't be afraid, I've redeemed you.
I've called your name. You're mine.
When you're in over your head, I'll be there with you.
When you're in rough waters, you will not go down.
When you're between a rock and a hard place,
it won't be a dead end—
Because I am God, your personal God,
The Holy of Israel, your Savior.
I paid a huge price for you:
all of Egypt, with rich Cush and Seba thrown in!
That's how much you mean to me!
That's how much I love you!
I'd sell off the whole world to get you back,
trade the creation just for you. (Isaiah 43:1-4, The Message)

How blessed is God! And what a blessing he is! He's the Father of our Master, Jesus Christ, and takes us to the high places of blessing in him. Long before he laid down earth's foundations, he had us in mind, had settled on us as the focus of his love, to be made whole and holy by his love. Long, long ago he decided to adopt us into his family through Jesus Christ. (What pleasure he took in planning this!) He wanted us to enter into the celebration of his lavish gift-giving by the hand of his beloved Son. (Ephesians 1:3-6, The Message)

About the pictures:
North Park (September 2011)

1 comment:

Common Household Mom said...

I love that passage from Isaiah - "When you're in over your head, I'll be there with you." Several times in the past few days I've felt I was in over my head. It was good that God was with me.

Good message.

Tell those people you work for to let up on the work load.