Monday, April 30, 2012

The Law of Your Love and Grace

The Psalms are poetry. They're songs, hymns actually - the music of God's people. Six months ago, I began an unusual study of Psalm 119. As I began to study the first eight verses of the psalm, I was inspired to write a poem. The experience was so amazing that I knew I had to meditate and respond to the rest of this psalm in kind. I'm not retelling scripture, but responding to it's message.

 In my poetic response to Psalm 119:89-96, I found myself understanding God's Word as being a message of love and grace. In Luke 10, we hear that we are to "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind; and love your neighbor as yourself." This is how the Lord intends us to live - in and with love and grace from God and for our fellow man. Enjoy and be blessed.
The Law of Your Love and Grace
How sad it must be for the Father above
To watch us hurt and kill
instead of love.
To see our self-righteous pride
reject and destroy
the blessings He gave 
all for the sake of the sin we crave.
Before the beginning
He set in his mind
to share of Himself,
His love and His grace,
and carefully crafted this human race.
Brothers and sisters
we all are in His name
bonded in Spirit
through Christ’s blood –
reclaimed.
For God’s Word went out
proclaiming His love and His grace.
The Voice that spoke the heavens
and earth into being
has spoken forgiveness
and my sins are erased!
We all want to know joy
to be loved
and secure
a longing created by God to bring us near.
A desire distorted by sin with
regret, shame and fear.
God’s Word is not about perfection
but love and grace.
Condemning my brother
would be my disgrace.
No matter the hardships
I may face in this time
and this place
I pray my faith stay firmly set
in the law of Your love and Your grace.



About the pictures:
Pittsburgh Zoo (April 2012)

2 comments:

Audrey said...

Very nice...very true Maureen. Why do we humans make it all so difficult?
Thanks, Audrey

Maureen Profeta said...

The simple answer to your question Audrey is pride.