Monday, May 7, 2012

Happy Anniversary!

Three years ago this week, I wrote my first blog. As I look back over the years, I give glory to God for giving me the insights I’ve shared and the courage to share with you some of the most vulnerable places of my life. I began this blog because I’d hit a rough spot in my relationship with the Lord. At that time, I’d been a believer for ten years and for me – the honeymoon was over.

There comes a time in every relationship when the newness wears off, when the daily grind of life with this other person can become monotonous. You’ve heard each other’s stories more times than you can count and you end up sitting on the couch watching mindless TV never saying a word because, really, what is there to say? You may have to renew your commitment – make the choice again and again to work really hard to appreciate each other and dedicate uninterrupted time to each other. That’s when the love between two people really takes root and begins to flourish.

I had hit that point in my relationship with God. I’d read the Bible just enough to have a general idea of what it said. I’d become a regular attender at my church and volunteered in ministry which I used as an excuse for not taking time to study the Word, where I had met with God so frequently in the past. Communication between me and the Lord had become too ordinary and predictable. Like a couple who have the same dialog every morning at breakfast without really being invested in the conversation – my prayer life was almost a half-hearted litany.

I knew I had to do something. I tried using different Bible studies – none of which brought me closer to God, and even made me feel further apart from him. When I looked back over the previous ten years, I discovered that the Lord had often used people and events in my life to teach me about who he is and what he wants for me. He drew me to himself, not just through Bible study, but in the ordinary moments of my life. That’s why I started the blog – it was my way to renew my commitment, to make the choice every week to look for God in my life and spend a few hours in his presence writing about it. Posting it online was for the sake of accountability.
What I’ve learned these past three years is that everyone has good days and bad. Everyone has insecurities and pain they’d rather no one know about. At some time in their lives, everyone feels left out, insignificant, or rejected. We all give into temptation and regret it later and we all make mistakes that too often others have to pay for. By sharing what I’ve learned in my journey and being open about my shortcomings and troubles, I am reaching out to you – sometimes with an answer, mostly to let you know you’re not alone in your dark places and that God has always and will always love you just as you are. Jesus died to remove your sin as far as the east is from the west and his Spirit is alive in you. In my life, God has given me a great hope which I am compelled to share. That’s why I will continue to write this blog.

Unitl next week:  May the Lord bless and keep you.

About the pictures:
Pittsburgh Zoo (April 2012)

2 comments:

Common Household Mom said...

Thanks for writing. May the Lord bless and keep you, also.

Audrey said...

I've appreciated all that you have shared with me through your blog. You've made me think about my faith and how blessed I am. Thank you...and Happy Anniversayr!