Monday, May 28, 2012

Happy Birthday!

I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever—the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you. The Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you. (John 14:16-17, 26)


Not only did we celebrate Memorial Day this weekend, but we also celebrated a very important birthday – the Church’s birthday otherwise known as Pentecost. We are told in Acts that after the resurrection and ascension of Jesus, the Holy Spirit came and settled on the disciples in the upper room. They immediately went out to preach in many different languages, previously unknown to them before the Spirit's empowerment, to the multitudes gathered in the city from all over the known world to celebrate a Jewish festival. Three thousand people believed and were baptized and Jesus’ Church was born. This got me to thinking about a devotion I wrote many years ago when doing a word study on the Holy Spirit which I share here with you. Enjoy!

My family will often gather over a meal to celebrate special occasions or sometimes just because it’s been too long since the last time we’ve gotten together. At most of these family gatherings we share a simple meal of spaghetti while we talk and laugh. I come from a proud Italian heritage and the recipe for the spaghetti sauce shared in those meals has been handed down through the generations of my family. I learned to make the family recipe as a young girl at my mother’s side, while others in my family have learned by first experiencing the meal and then later following the step-by-step instruction given to them by my mother. We each have added our own spices over the years, but the basic recipe has never changed and will be passed down to the generations to come.

In much the same way, the Holy Spirit is a gift passed down from the Father to the Son to God’s children. When God’s children gather, it is his Spirit that feeds us. He is our common heritage. Many of my brothers and sisters in Christ were brought up with God being an intricate part of their lives. Others have experienced God through example first, seen his miracles, heard his voice calling them, and then, having asked for God’s forgiveness and giving their lives to Jesus, have received the Holy Spirit. We each come with our own individual history and personality and while the Holy Spirit reflects through the filter of our lives uniquely, he is the same Person for all time and will never change as he is imparted to each new generation of God’s family.

About the pictures:
Phipps Conservatory (April 2009)

1 comment:

Audrey said...

Thanks for sharing Maureen...I often hear the spirit through your words!