Monday, September 17, 2012

Bless the Lord, Oh My Soul!

Pittsburgh Zoo (April 2012)
This morning, it being Sunday, I went to church and enjoyed a wonderful time of worship, fellowship and being renewed by God’s own Word. I admit, I really wanted to just shut off the alarm and roll back over in bed this morning. But as I lay there, I began to think about why I go to church. I go because I love God. And once a week, I have the freedom and privilege of gathering with my brothers and sisters in Christ to share that experience. I have been redeemed by Jesus and his sacrifice on the cross – how could I not go to express the deep gratitude and admiration I have for him?

But worship isn’t just a Sunday morning, one hour a week thing. How could it be with a God as majestic and wonderful as our God! He created the universe. He created you and me. He is holy and still he seeks to be in communion with us, sinners though we are, because of his great love for us. So much so, that he, himself, did the impossible and unthinkable – left his heavenly throne and robed himself in flesh to pay the price for our sins and to conquer death to open the way into His Presence for us.

I've heard it said that man is a creature of worship. No matter who you are, you have a god in your life that drives you to do what you do...be it the one true God, or success, or the ideal of tolerance, or the ultimate healthy lifestyle...whatever it is, there is something or somethings in your life that you deem a priority over all else. Something you would give up everything else for. What if as it is said your every action, every word, every attitude were an act of worship? What do these things in your life say about who or what you worship. Set your alarm for an hour from now and when the alarm goes off - ask yourself that question?


Recently, I’ve discovered a new favorite song I’d like to share (YouTube video below) called 10,000 Reasons by Matt Redman. The song is about worshiping from the heart. It moves me every time I hear it, so much so that I’ve made it my morning prayer on my way to work. I listen and sing along to this song, not just as a prayer, but as a reminder of who and what my focus and foundation is. God is the reason for all I am, all I do, and all I have - 3 reasons down, 9,997 to go!
 
 

2 comments:

Audrey said...

I love this Maureen! I want to try every day to make the living of my life an act of worship. Of course, I have miles to go before that happens. But the goal is a glorious one!
As always, thank you for opening your heart and letting us in.

Anonymous said...

Some really interesting points you have written. Aided me a lot, just what I was looking for : D.