Monday, December 31, 2012

A Story Worth Sharing


Last week I received one of those "God story" emails - the kind that tells of God putting someone in the right place at the right time to help or comfort someone in need. I love those kinds of stories because it is a reminder to me that God is still very active in our everyday lives. Too often we get caught up in the message of what Jesus has done for us through his birth, death on the cross, and resurrection and we forget to share the stories of what he is doing in and through our lives every day. Yes, the Good News of redemption through Christ is the most important story, but when we end the story there, it's no wonder non-believers think God is dead. They need to know God is active and working today in their lives before they can see past today's pains and concerns to eternal possibilities.

Non-believers aren't the only ones who need to feed on the stories of God's everyday presence. As believers, we don't share enough with our Christian brothers and sisters what God is doing in our daily lives and we risk our faith becoming supported more by knowledge rather than experience. I don't know about you, but I can always be tricked to doubt a fact I know and never be convinced to disbelieve my own experience - you can't tell me something didn't happen when I lived it.

I admit that for a long time now, I've been needing to reinvigorate the awareness in my heart, mind and soul, that God not only created me, loved me enough to die for me, was powerful enough to raise from the dead to bring me into eternal relationship with him, but is actively sharing in my life now. I need to be more intentional about looking daily for God in my life and to share the stories of what he is doing in and through me with others. So I asked a friend to join me in a 30-day challenge to share with each other on a daily basis God's miracle stories large or small. The response I got was rather disappointing. It seems my friend is an ENTP (Myers-Briggs) and therefore usually doesn't remember what happened yesterday to share what God has done in everyday life. It saddened me that my friend's memory would never fails to remember the accomplishments of children, spouse, extended family and self but assumes that God's wonders would be completely forgettable the next day. Okay, maybe that's a little harsh. But the point I'm trying to make is that God is real and alive, living and working in us every minute of every day and we're missing it!
 
I don't want to miss it anymore. That's why I'm challenging myself and anyone who will join me to look for and share what God is doing everyday for the next 30 days. Share with your friends, family, neighbors and church family the everyday miracles of God in your life because he most certainly is alive and active in this moment and the next - and that is a story worth sharing.

2 comments:

Common Household Mom said...

Everyday miracles are there if we look for them.

Here's a non-everyday miracle. Last night we enjoyed night sledding in our yard! We figured out how to string some white Christmas lights from the deck to a tree, shedding just enough light in the yard. It was fun! Some would say it was just human ingenuity, but I think it was a miracle that we thought of it and were able to implement it. The biggest miracle of all is that I am 51 years old and still able to enjoy sledding like a kid.

Maureen Profeta said...

What a great story CHM. I've recently been reminded that one of the greatest miracles in our lives is enjoying the company of our loved ones and what a great way to celebrate that miracle. I saw the pictures of the lights - purely inspired.