Monday, March 25, 2013

Holy Week through Mary's Eyes


Seeing what was to come, [David] spoke of the resurrection of the Messiah, that he was not abandoned to the realm of the dead, nor did his body see decay. God has raised this Jesus to life, and we are all witnesses of it. Exalted to the right hand of God, he has received from the Father the promised Holy Spirit and has poured out what you now see and hear…“Therefore let all Israel be assured of this: God has made this Jesus, whom you crucified, both Lord and Messiah.”
When the people heard this, they were cut to the heart and said to Peter and the other apostles, “Brothers, what shall we do?”
Peter replied, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. The promise is for you and your children and for all who are far off—for all whom the Lord our God will call.”  (Acts 2:31-33, 36-39)
 


Mary Fifteen Years Later
[Scene: It's Holy week, 15 years after Christ's crucifixion and resurrection. Mary, Jesus' mother, is sitting quietly on a rock in an olive grove. Most of stage is dark with a spotlight on Mary. A young teenage girl walks onstage into spotlight finding Mary lost in thought]

Girl: (relieved) There you are Mary. We've all been looking for you. You had us worried.
Mary: I'm sorry dear. I've just been sitting here thinking and I guess the time got away from me.
Girl: Thinking about what?
Mary: I was just lost in the past. Let's go before worry turns to fear and wild imaginings.
Girl: You were thinking about him again. I know. Tell me about him.
Mary: What do you want to know that you haven't already heard?
Girl: What was he like as a child?
Mary: He was just like any other boy - loud and playful, often to my exasperation. But oh how I loved his laugh--the sound of his laughter always tickled my heart and made me smile.
Girl: But...wasn't he...special?
Mary: My girl, someday you will find out that every child is special in his mother's eyes. But yes, he was special as he was conceived in me by God--our promised Messiah. But really, it was so very easy to forget that when he was fussy with illness or asking a stream of endless whys until my patience was nearly gone.
Girl: My mother said that you were there the day they crucified him.
Mary: (guarded) Yes. She's right. I was.
Girl: How could you stand it Mary?
Mary: Someday you will understand, when you have children of your own. There is no greater calling for us - no bond stronger, no one more unyielding than a mother protecting her child. My son was horribly beaten and killed. How could I be any place else but there at his side?
Girl: Is that what you were thinking about when I found you?
Mary: Yes.
Girl: Please Mary, tell me.
Mary: It's a horrible, horrible thing - to watch your child suffer and die. When he was taken down from the cross, I held him in my arms. He was so disfigured, he was unrecognizable. Some tried to convince themselves it wasn't really him, but I knew better. It was his hands. A mother knows her child's hands. I sat there running my fingers through hair and sang the lullaby I used to sing to him when he was a baby. [pause] After they rolled the stone in place, the others took me back to the room where we had celebrated the Passover the day before. How very empty it seemed now... (trails off lost in thought)
Girl: But he's alive now Mary...isn't he?
Mary: (smiles and mood brightens) Yes dear. He is alive. And he sits on His throne in Heaven beside our Heavenly Father!
Girl: I wish I had known him.
Mary: But you do know him. When he opened your eyes to his Divine nature and you submitted to his Lordship in your life, he gave you his very Spirit to mark you as his own. His Holy Spirit resides within you as Teacher, Guide and Comforter. It's His Spirit in your heart that moved you to sit with an old woman today in a moment of grief. Yes, you know him...so much more than you realize.
[Hearing voices shouting Mary's name in the distance, Mary takes the girl's hand and starts walking offstage]
Mary: (smiling) Let's head back now. We have a celebration to get ready for. 
[stage lights go dark]


1 comment:

Audrey said...

How wonderful Maureen...you took me there and I felt the words reach my heart. How hard it must have been on Mary to watch her son die. How blessed we are that he did it all for us!
Love and happiness to you this Easter season.
Audrey