Monday, May 6, 2013

The End of a Journey


Recently, I’ve been going through a lot of lasts… For the last three years, much of my time has been spent in the task of Elder on the governing body of my church as well as chairperson on a church committee – all of which comes to an end in just a few short weeks. When I first accepted this awesome responsibility, I had no idea what I was saying yes to or how I was supposed to accomplish the many tasks that lay ahead – some of which seem quite overwhelming. All I knew was, much to my surprise, that God had called me to lead his people. Much like Moses who heard God calling him from the burning bush to lead his people out of Egypt, I voiced my hesitations to God – “Who, me? I’m not a leader. I’m not qualified to make decisions on behalf of God and his people. I’m introverted and shy. I don’t have the skills or the intellect to handle such a huge and important duty. Besides, I already have a ton of responsibilities that keep me busy. ” After several weeks of prayer and debate, still plagued by self-doubt and apprehension, I said yes because while I didn’t have much faith in myself, I had great faith in God and I couldn’t deny his call on my life any longer – even if it didn’t make any sense to me.
 
In the story of the burning bush, God answers Moses’ hesitations by telling him, “I will be with you. And this will be the sign to you that it is I who have sent you: When you have brought the people out of Egypt, you will worship God on this mountain.” (Exodus 3:12) God was telling Moses not to worry about the details because God himself would be right there with him in Egypt as Moses presented God’s message to the Israelites and to Pharaoh. God himself had the plan and it would be his power that would bring it to fruition. And when the people of Israel were free and worshiping on that mountain where Moses received his call from God, then Moses would be able to look back upon the journey and see how God freed his children from slavery through the willingness and obedience of a humble servant.
 
Well now it’s my turn to look back upon my three year journey that is coming  to an end and I can see how God's love, grace, and power has worked in, with and through my willingness and obedience. I can see how he’s changed me and how his plan has been worked out as I sought to do his will and I give God all the glory and praise. I see where his strength carried me and his wisdom guided me on the journey and my heart is filled with joy that he chose to share the journey with me.
 
So what’s next for me? I don’t know yet. But when the Holy Spirit tells me, I hope I have learned to trust him more than I doubt myself and say yes immediately with enthusiasm and excitement over our next adventure together.

4 comments:

Green Grandma said...

Lovely post, Maureen. And while you doubted, others were confident in your ability. Well done, good and faithful servant.

mariah reed said...

I like that: i hope i have learned to trust in the H.S. more than I doubt myself. Good one!

mariah reed said...

I like that: i hope i have learned to trust in the H.S. more than I doubt myself. Good one!

Audrey said...

There are still too many times in my life when I don't listen to and follow God's messages to. But when I do, glorious things happen in my life.

Good for you Maureen, for both listening and following through!