Monday, March 24, 2014

A Lenten Journey - A Modern-Day Psalm


(ASH WEDNESDAY)
Against Almighty God alone I have sinned.
Heap ashes upon my wretched head
and cover my shame with sackcloth
for I come to You O Lord on my knees.
I hide my face from Your holiness.
I am a sinner.
Oh, Father – forgive.
Death is my due.
Forever apart from Your glory.
In anguish my heart cries out to You.

(FIRST SUNDAY DURING LENT)
Rejoice! Praise the God of heaven and rejoice
for the Lord has heard my cry.
He has reached out to me in His love 
with grace and blessings.
He has called me His own!

(CONFESSION)
Sin permeates my flesh, Oh Lord.
I have sought my own pleasure,
my own pride, and my own desires. 
Instead of seeking Your face, Your will – 
I closed my fist around all I had.
I scorned and mocked You when I should have served You.
I turned my back to You when I should have loved You. 
The sin in my heart disdained Your holiness
and I hid from the light of Your glory.

(SECOND SUNDAY DURING LENT)
Rejoice! Praise the God of heaven and rejoice
for the Lord has heard my confession.
He has reached out to me in His love 
with grace and blessings.
He has called me His own!

(FORGIVENESS)
Lord Jesus, I come to You broken and penitent.
Forgive me, Oh Lord – forgive.
Take my sins,
my awful horrendous sins, 
and remember them no more.
Strip the guilt and shame from my soul, O God
and grow in me a new heart.
One filled with love and devotion for You.

(THIRD SUNDAY DURING LENT)
Rejoice! Praise the God of heaven and rejoice
for the Lord has forgiven my sins.
He has reached out to me in His love 
with grace and blessings.
He has called me His own!

(REDEMPTION)
Savior – Redeem me.
Redeem my life and my soul.
Only Your sinless life 
and sacrificial death on the cross
will satisfy the death sentence that sin demands.
Only Your righteousness for my ungodliness
will bring me into the Father’s presence 
with praises on my lips and joy in my heart
rather than tears of fright and fear of punishment.

(FOURTH SUNDAY DURING LENT)
Rejoice! Praise the God of heaven and rejoice
for the Lord has redeemed my soul.
He has reached out to me in His love 
with grace and blessings.
He has called me His own!

(FAITHFULNESS)
Teach me, Oh Lord.
Show me the way to honor You.
I seek only that Your desires be mine
that Your sacrifice and grace be honored
in my words 
and in the proceedings of each day.
Command me Lord God and I will obey
not for fear or for profit
but in the deepest love and with tremendous gratitude.
Lead me Lord and I will follow – 
Follow You through the end of days
for You are worthy.

(FIFTH SUNDAY DURING LENT)
Rejoice! Praise the God of heaven and rejoice
for the Lord has created in me a faithful heart.
He has reached out to me in His love 
with grace and blessings.
He has called me His own!

(DISCIPLESHIP)
Lord, help me to see the world through Your eyes
to give comfort to those broken and in pain
Enable me to be Your hands and feet,
to feed the hungry, visit the sick and imprisoned,
give water to those who thirst, shelter to the homeless,
clothes and shoes to those in need.
Empower me to reach out Lord God
to my enemies in Your love and mercy
and to forgive those who hurt me.
Holy Spirit, I pray You would preach the Gospel
in my words and deeds each day
and may God be glorified in the offerings of my heart.

(PALM SUNDAY)
Rejoice! Praise the God of heaven and rejoice
for the Lord has made me His disciple.
Hosanna to the King of Glory
for He has reached out to me in His love 
with grace and blessings.
He has called me His own!

(EASTER WEEK)
I’ve shouted, “Hosanna to the King” and cheered.
Yet how quickly I forget the hope You bring
when I want my desires, my own road
when Your will and Your way I don’t understand.
I call You Teacher, Friend and Lord 
As we gather at the table, 
break the bread and drink the wine.
Yet abandon You for sleep and run away in fear 
when the time of trial arrives.
For my guilt You are dishonored, Your name cursed
at the whims of evil men.
In despair I see You hanging on a tree for the sum of my sins.
And then it is done.
All that is left are tears.

(EASTER SUNDAY)
Rejoice! Praise the God of heaven and rejoice
for the Lord has Risen from the grave.
He has heard my cry and my confession,
forgiven and redeemed my sinful soul,
and formed in me a faithful heart.
He has summoned me to follow Him.
He has reached out to me in His love 
with grace and blessings.
He has called me His own!
Alleluia! Praise the Father! Praise the Spirit!
Praise the Son! Alleluia and Amen!

(A Lenten Journey - A Modern-Day Psalm (C) 2011 Maureen Profeta)

No comments: