Monday, May 19, 2014

What Does Jesus Do All Day?

This weekend, I attended a worship service where the custom of the congregation was to share stories of where they saw Jesus in their lives during the week. I was encouraged to hear how Jesus had provided safe travel, brought estranged sisters together, comforted the sick, and provided for the people of this congregation. As they took turns sharing, I looked back on my week and wondered where I saw Jesus. I know he was there because he promised he would be with me always until the end of the age. So why was I having such a hard time coming up with a God sighting from my week. Then an old story came to mind:

One day a man comes home from work to find total mayhem at home. The kids were outside still in their pajamas playing in the mud and muck. There were empty food boxes and wrappers all around. As he proceeded into the house, he found an even bigger mess. Dishes on the counter, dog food spilled on the floor, a broken glass under the table, and a small pile of sand by the back door. The family room was strewn with toys and various items of clothing, and a lamp had been knocked over. He headed up the stairs, stepping over toys, to look for his wife. He was becoming worried that she may be ill, or that something had happened to her. He found her in the bedroom, still in bed with her pajamas on, reading a book. She looked up at him, smiled, and asked how his day went. 
He looked at her bewildered and asked, "What happened here today?" 
She again smiled and answered, "You know everyday when you come home from work and ask me what I did today?" 
"Yes, was his reply."
She answered, "Well, today I didn't do it!" 

All of a sudden, it made sense why I couldn't pick out a specific moment from the previous week when I saw Jesus. I habitually take for granted what God does in my life. We all do. When something becomes routine, we hardly, if ever, notice it anymore. This morning I woke up! My heart beats and my lungs breathe without my even thinking about it! Food was abundant in three full meals (and a snack) with little to no effort on my part. Not to mention all the things I have and take for granted-a car, an apartment of my own and all the stuff I can fit in it, more clothes in my closet than I can wear in a week-the list goes on. I'm so blessed by what God does on a daily basis in my life. And then on top of the daily miracles of my routine life, he chooses to bless me abundantly with special moments of encouragement, comfort, hope, and love, through the actions of those around me and his presence in my day is hard to overlook. I can't find a moment in my week when God wasn't present.

The preacher then turned the tables a bit with her sermon. She reminded us that we are the conduits of God's presence and his blessings to others in our homes, our community, and the world. I'm not in this world for me, but for God. He brought me into being and has work for me to do in his creation. There are people he wants to encourage, comfort, and bring hope to through me. He want to show up in their week and he plans to do it with me. That led me to wonder if there was someone in the world today who was able to report that they saw Jesus in their week through my love and obedience to the Lord's calling on my life. Was there at least one moment when anyone saw Jesus in me? 

How about you? Is there someone, somewhere in the world, who saw Jesus in their week because you offered a kind word when it was needed or shared your lunch with someone in need? Did you visit a sick friend or help someone at work with a project? Don't worry if you're unhappy with your answers. No one can ever live up to God's standard and we'll always have room for improvement. Rather, rejoice and remember that because of God's grace, we can start again, right now, to seek God's will more actively and to be the blessing to others that God desires us to be so that they may see him in us and know his love for them in a real and personal way.

2 comments:

Audrey said...

This is very thought provoking Maureen. Yes, we do forget that we are here to serve Him...not for Him to serve us. We need to live up to His command to be there for each other as He is there for us!

Thanks again for taking the time to write your thoughts and share your insights!

Common Household Mom said...

I love this question. We have been having some days where a lot of things go wrong, and it's good to step back and just take stock of all the things that 'went right' but that we just didn't notice.