Monday, September 29, 2014

Priorities in My Busy-ness

"We have different gifts, according to the grace given to each of us. If your gift is prophesying, then prophesy in accordance with your faith; if it is serving, then serve; if it is teaching, then teach; if it is to encourage, then give encouragement; if it is giving, then give generously; if it is to lead, do it diligently; if it is to show mercy, do it cheerfully." Romans 12:6-8

As I consider the blur of this past week which has been one of the busiest weeks of the year for me, I wondered at first—did I have time to do anything that God could use to teach me? I'm not a center-stage type of person and I'm okay with that because God created me to be a helper and I enjoy that role immensely. I admit that I occasionally feel overlooked when I'm left out of public acknowledgement, but I try to thank God in those times for the lesson in humility it provides.

I'm a listener. If you need to say something, I'm there to listen. I will listen to your joys, concerns, woes and triumphs. I'm an encourager. I know that every individual has insecurities and I'm there to bolster you and walk through the deep of it with you. I'm a woman of prayer. I can't offer much in the way of solutions, but I know who can and I bring those needs to God faithfully on your behalf. As I review my week, I see many moments, despite being so busy, where I have helped, listened, encouraged and prayed. I've also taken a significant amount of time out this week to study God's Word and the writings of great theologians—I'm taking a theology course which has given back to me the joy of focused study of God and his love for the world.

This week could have been very different. I could have turned people down who needed my help because I had too much to do and no one would have blamed me. I could have cut conversations short explaining that I had too much work to do to listen and my friends and family would have understood. I could have sent some away with only a half-hearted attempt at encouragement and had more time to do my work. I could have easily convinced myself that God knew and could have taken care of the stuff I prayed about without my praying. I could have studied less, once again claiming the enormity of the work I had to do last week, but I didn't and I thank God for that.

At the end of the week, I could have been justified having pride in a job well done but that would have been a temporary, superficial joy. Instead, I was faithful to the Lord in sharing the gifts he has given me. At the end of the week, all my work was done, God had been glorified, I made a difference in people's live (even if it was only a little ripple of kindness), and I know God more intimately. What a fantastic week! I guess the lesson I learned is to seek God’s kingdom first and foremost and let the rest take care of itself. I’m not saying you should ignore your responsibilities, but to remember that in the list of priorities, they are still second to glorifying God with our whole heart, mind, and soul in word and deed.

1 comment:

Common Household Mom said...

Yes, there are some weeks/days that force a person to reexamine and re-sort priorities. I hope this coming week is more relaxing for you!

You ARE a great listener and encourager and helper. Thanks for being all that you are.