Monday, November 3, 2014

Blessed to Be a Blessing All the Time

I will bless you…and you will be a blessing. (Genesis 12:2)

Very soon we are going to be inundated with Christmas music and mega-sales before we’ve even had an opportunity to take time to be thankful for all that God has blessed us with. We in the U.S. are so abundantly blessed it should be embarrassing to us and too often I find myself thinking about what I feel I’m lacking rather than all the riches I take for granted. There was a point in my life when I would go into debt to get those things I felt I was lacking and would often find a reasonable explanation to justify doing so. I am debt-free now and I refuse to do that again, so now I just do without. However, I still think about what I don’t have so much more than what I do have.

Recently a friend’s daughter moved to West Africa and at times I am put to shame when I am obsessing over wanting a new wardrobe or kitchen gadget I can’t afford and hear that she is without what we think of as basic necessities:  water, a roof over her head, an oven to cook in, etc. If I want peanut butter, I just go to the corner store and buy it (as I complain about the price and the wait in line to purchase it). When she wants peanut butter, she has to make it! That is if she can find the peanuts at the market to mash. Okay—yes, she answered God’s call and put herself in that situation, but for millions, that is just everyday life from birth to death.

We in the U.S. are so very spoiled. I can say that since I’m one of the spoiled people. I am blessed with a job, reasonably good health, a vehicle, a home with running water and electricity. I have more food in my cupboard the day before payday than the majority of the world has when they first come home from the store or market. The bible tells us in God’s promise to Abraham, which was repeated several times to Abraham’s descendants and which is meant for all God’s children, that we are blessed to be a blessing. As I think about all the blessings I have, I need to ask myself how I am using them to bless others. How can I use the home, car, money…. God has blessed me with to bless others.  Here’s one example:  On my way out of the church parking lot yesterday, I saw a woman and her two daughters walking home from the service. I offered them a ride and was happy that they allowed me to bless them with a ride.

So in this month of November, I am going to focus on being thankful for all my blessings, none of which I deserve in the least, but I am also going to try to be more active in finding ways to bless others with what he has so freely given me to share.

No comments: