Monday, November 17, 2014

No Regrets

This is one of those cold dreary days that lends itself to inactivity and depression. Even more so when you take into consideration that right now as the rain is turning to snow, I am watching a crowd of people all dressed in black leaving the Sanctuary and walking over to the fellowship area to laugh and cry with each other over sandwiches and memories of a life that ended tragically and too soon.

As you can expect, this touches my heart deeply—I might even dare to say, a little more deeply than most. I understand the void that is filling the mother’s heart and there really isn’t anything anyone can do to take that pain away. I also know that as the shock wears off in the coming days, that pain is only going to increase.

It never ceases to amaze me how many people one life can touch. We leave a part of ourselves in the minds and hearts of every person we interact with. Our smile or frown can change the course of someone’s day. There are those people who are so dear to us, that the day isn’t complete until we laugh with them, cry with them, or share a moment of togetherness. There are those who drive us to be better people and those who drive us crazy. God put each of these people into our lives as a precious gift. He made us to be in relationship, first with him and then with each other. Often we learn about being in relationship with him by being in relationship with each other.


There is no deep insight today. No real way to tie what I’m feeling to some deep theological concept. All I really wanted to remind you of is that today is a good day to tell those you love that you do love them. Give them a hug. Call them and talk for a few minutes just because. Write them a letter, email, text. Take the time because it is worth the effort. Whatever you need to do to say you care—now is the time because who knows what tomorrow will bring.

2 comments:

Green Grandma said...

Sending you loving thoughts and a virtual hug today, my friend. I wish I could do more.

Audrey said...

Yes...now is the time. I rarely regret what I do...I often regret what I thought about doing but didn't! Thanks Maureen.