Monday, January 12, 2015

Rainy Days and Mondays Don't Always Get Me Down

As I look out my window, it’s one of those foggy, gray, misty, winter Monday mornings that make me want to crawl back into bed and sleep through the day. Even though my joints ache a little from the cold and damp, I know that above that blurred horizon, the sun is still in its place in the universe, shining bright and warming the earth. I know that it’s there just as it should be and that I will see the proof of what I know soon. Maybe not today or even tomorrow, but I will see the beautiful light of the sun and feel the warmth of it on my face again.  And as I affirm that belief in my head and my heart, I can almost see the sun breaking through the gloom. It seems just a little brighter, at least in my eyes.

I think that is what the Bible means when it says:  Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see. (Hebrews 11:1) There are many things about God that we as human beings cannot explain or understand or prove so we have to choose to believe that when God says he will provide that he can and will even if we don’t know how it works. We must choose to believe that the Holy Spirit is leading us in God’s path and listen until we hear his voice telling us which way. Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, "This is the way; walk in it." (Isaiah 30:21) Even when that way leads us through foggy, gray, misty winter days, we must choose to believe that he is with us and then believe it with all our hearts despite the questions and obstacles that keep us from seeing what we are certain of and with that belief comes a hint of the joy of the Lord that one day will be fully known and understood by us all.

1 comment:

Common Household Mom said...

Yes. We cannot let our faith depend on the weather (external or internal). Especially not around here!