Monday, August 17, 2015

Be Still and Know

Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.” Psalm 46:10

Be still and know that I am God. I’ve heard this many times over the past week in song and in prayer. I was trolling through my music library when I ran across a song I haven’t listened to in years called “Please Be Still” sung by Rush of Fools. It’s a beautifully haunting melody that stuck with me all week. Then during worship our pastor led us through a wonderful prayer experience where he said out loud “Be still and know that I am God” each time leaving off the last word like this:

Be still and know that I am God
Be still and know that I am
Be still and know that I
Be still and know that
Be still and know
Be still and
Be still
Be

He left time in between these statements to allow God to speak to us as we listened for the Spirit’s voice. It was truly a moving prayer practice that I will likely do again myself. Although I have to admit that for the first half of our prayer time all I could hear was the lyrics of the song that had settled in my subconscious.

Come empty cup, let Me fill you up
I'll descend on you like a dove tonight
Lift your head, let your eyes fall into Mine
Let your fear subside tonight
Peace be still
Peace be still
Please be still
and know that I a God
Please know that I am God

The second half of this prayer experience, I was realizing how each new phrase seemed to be a whole new idea within the boundaries of the original sentence. Be still and know how deeply I love you. Be still and rest in my strong protective arms. Be still as I show you my glory. Be the loving, beautiful woman I created you to be. This got me to wondering—what does it really mean to “be still and know that I am God.” I think we could spend a lifetime learning what that means and yet we say it all the time like: been there, done that, next. Let’s not move so quickly from this yearning of God to show us his majesty and shower us in his grace and love, as his Spirit stirs within us. Enjoy these precious moments with God being still and knowing him. Let him speak to your heart, “Be still and know that I am God” in a new and personal way. It’s why he created us.

No comments: