Monday, August 3, 2015

The Small Things that Change the World

“I’m not doing anything that’s changing the world. It’s not like anyone is going to know I was here, but I help my coworkers do important work and I’m there to do what needs done and I love what I do. I know I’m right where God wants me, doing what he’s gifted me to do.” I said this Friday night to a family member during our dinner conversation. Those words played over and over again in my head all weekend. Then a thought came to me—maybe I’m not affecting the whole world with what I do on a daily basis, but maybe I do have something to do with blessing the whole world of an individual. 

The three people I work with rely on me doing my job so they can do theirs. I help make their ministries vibrant with my creativity and run smoothly thanks to my organizational skills.
Last week, a woman told me that I made a difference in her life. How you may ask? I’m not sure. She said I gave her comfort and good advice when she borrowed some medical equipment from the lending library we operate out of my office. That got me thinking—how many other times have I made a difference in someone’s life, maybe even changed their whole world and I never knew it.

I was reading about Abraham being the father of all God's children, circumcised and uncircumcised in Romans 4 last night. The Jews can trace their physical heritage and the rest of us (Gentiles) our spiritual heritage back to this same Abraham. It doesn’t take a great theologian to know that when Abraham made the decision to believe God (which God credited to him as righteousness) he had no idea how much that one decision to put his faith in God would affect the rest of history. Even at the end of his life, he could have had no idea how much that one decision would change the world to come.

This brought me back to thinking about that little girl in Nebraska I wrote about last week who sent a bible across the ocean to a pen pal. That young man read that bible and believed. He grew up to be a pastor and because of that, met his lovely mission-oriented wife and now the two of them are spreading the Gospel in a predominately Muslim community in Central Asia.


Little things are only little things when they start. With God’s power and Spirit, those little things grow. I’m likely never to be famous or noted in the history books for changing the world, but that doesn’t mean I’m not changing the world or what I do isn’t important in God plan to reach out to those around me with his love, compassion and grace.

1 comment:

Common Household Mom said...

Well, you make a big difference to me. You change my world, for the better.

I have noticed that in some Christian writings, the authors try to pump you up to do SOMETHING BIG. This irks me, because it implies that if one is not doing something in a big way (preach to thousands! cure malaria! single-handedly save the church budget!) that it's not worthwhile. A less-than-big way of living definitely is worthwhile. I say, not everything (and probably not anything) we do has to be big.