Monday, April 11, 2016

Audrey's Legacy

A friend of mine died last week. I met her years ago in a writers’ group I was part of and after we both left the group, we kept in touch on Facebook. I admit I didn’t know her as well as I could have. But I knew enough to know she was a good woman and one worth knowing. She used to read my blog and so many times, just when I needed encouragement, Audrey would post a comment –a hug from my sister in Christ. I remember her asking me to pray for her – not because she had been diagnosed with ALS (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis) but because she was seeking a deeper more intimate relationship with God. She never talked about her disease and only once in a while would admit to have a “bad” day.

I’ve heard it said once that everyone you meet has something to teach you. Audrey taught me anyone, no matter their circumstances or ability, has something to offer and she reminded me that the most important thing in life is my relationship with God whether that life is all I would want it to be or as horrible as I can imagine. As afflicted as she was, Audrey held me up with affirmation, encouragement, and prayer with herculean-like strength even if she was unable to lift her own arm. Next time I start feeling like throwing myself a pity party, I will think of Audrey and look for the good I can do.


Too often I hear people say they can’t. They can’t give. They can’t help. “I don’t have enough. Enough money. Enough time. Enough ability.” So many people I know want to reach out in God’s love to their fellow man but think they can’t because they’re too old, too young, too afflicted, or too busy. In light of Audrey’s legacy, I say—nonsense! We all have something to give. God created each of us specifically just as we are to work together for his glory, to bring about his kingdom here on earth as it is in heaven. There is a need out there that I can fill just as there is a God who created me to fill it. My constant struggle has always been—what will I do with the opportunity?

2 comments:

Green Grandma said...

Audrey was a light. Thank you for reflecting it.

Green Grandma said...

Audrey was a light. Thank you for reflecting it.