Monday, May 9, 2016

Facing the Wind and Flood of Change

For much of my life fear dominated my life. It decided my abilities, my limits, my every step. My biggest fear—fear of change. For me, change was a tornado whipping everything around me in a chaotic and unpredictable manner with a tsunami simultaneously rushing in to destroy and wash away everything I knew and held dear. Even in the worst possible situations, I was afraid of change because…better the devil you know. As bad as it was, in my mind, change could only make it worse. I’ve learned that life’s only constant is change and how I react to it is what determines whether it is good or bad. Well now I get to test my new-found wisdom and confidence because there’s a big change coming in my life. It’s not one I sought but it is one that I’ve known was coming for a while. It’s not one I want, but it is one to celebrate.

I’m not saying that I’m going to find it easy. Maybe it will be an adventure. Then again, maybe it won’t. Only God knows what is to come. So how am I going to face it? I can’t stop the changing world around me but I can sink my anchor into the one rock that will never move, never change, or give way—God! Let the winds of change come, the tides roll in and wash away what is. Even as the waters rush over me and the wind picks me up and throws me around, my God will never lose his hold on me. He will set my feet on solid ground and walk with me to discover the unexplored terrain of the future.

Scripture tells us that God is immutable. He is who he is and he is unchanging. His holiness, righteousness, omnipotence, omnipresence, omniscience, his love and grace will endure forever. And whatever the future holds, I am precious to the one who hold it in his hands. He will not let me be blown away nor will he let me drown. He has a hold of my hand and my heart and he will never let go. Does God change? No! Do I believe it? I’m about to have the opportunity to prove to myself that I do.

“I the Lord do not change. So you, the descendants of Jacob, are not destroyed." Malachi 3:6

Truly he is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will never be shaken. Psalm 62:2

No comments: