Monday, July 25, 2016

You Want Me to Do What? Part 1

It’s been a very busy week for me as I worked as far ahead as I possibly could in just two days to prepare for my vacation time this week and attending a family funeral the other two days. Friday was my day to run errands, pack, and load up the car so that I could leave early Saturday morning to attend the New Wilmington Mission Conference. My last afternoon in the office, I received an email from a woman on the Worship committee at the church that I work for asking if I would consider preaching the message the day after I return from Conference and while I was honored to be asked, I really didn’t see how I could possibly put together a message worthy of the congregation I serve with no time to prepare. So I politely declined.

The church where I work as an Administrative Assistant is in a state of flux right now as we are between pastors. My boss and good friend Larry with whom I worked for and with for 13 years retired and in good Presbyterian fashion we are prayerfully searching for the Interim Pastor who will help us unite with the person God is preparing to shepherd us into the future. Because of this, our worship committee must find people to fill in every Sunday until our Interim Pastor arrives. That’s why the opportunity to share God’s message became available to me…or so I thought. What happened is God decided he was going to share a particular message through me and this is the way he went about doing it. I just didn't see it at the time.

I arrived early Saturday morning at Conference to participate in the Staff prayer and worship time and after lunch had a few hours to kill before registration so I found a quiet place on campus to write today’s blog. Something that was said during the earlier prayer and worship time sparked a passionate response that made my fingers fly about the keyboard. Later that evening, I picked up where I had left off and again the words continued to fill the page at lightning speed. It was as if God were dictating a letter and I was just typing what I heard. As I reread what “we” wrote, I said to myself a phrase I’d heard a thousand times from my friend Larry—“That will preach!” I paused; shook my head and muttered to myself, “Oh.” Now on board with what God had planned all along, I contacted my friend on the worship committee and told her that I would be happy to share with the congregation the amazing message I was receiving here at Conference this coming Sunday. I said, “I thought I wouldn’t have enough time to prepare but I didn’t take into account what God had planned for the week.”

I’m not a great public speaker, but I do love God and when I’m talking about something or someone I love, it’s as if my apprehension and fear dissipates. I guess perfect love does cast out fear. Why am I telling you all this? Because I need and ask for your prayers as I listen closely to the message God has for me this week and for those I will be sharing with on Sunday.


Sneak preview: The theme verse is Acts 1:8:  You will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you, and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth. I'm learning to understand it in a whole new way this week and the impact of this new understanding will change me forever. Join me this Sunday, July 31st in worship or next week in this blog to see the amazing thing God reveals to us together.

1 comment:

Linda Davis said...

God has a great sense of humor, doesn't He? Loves and inspires us then encourages and strengthens us through the obedience.