Monday, October 3, 2016

Conquering the Tough Times

This time of year is always been tough for me. Work get extremely busy all at once, the fall weather can wreak havoc with my allergies and asthma and my joints and old injuries hurt a little more from the cold humidity hanging in the air. School bus stops have become populated again and there are scarecrows everywhere reminding me of my son. Add to that the challenges of a new boss and the new continuing effort of a new healthy lifestyle and you have the perfect recipe for depression. The last few weeks have been difficult but I can see through the fog now in spots and life ahead is sunny and beautiful.

I get through these times by reminding myself of some basic facts which I would like to share with you in case you need reminding too.
  1. Whether I “feel” his presence or not, God is here with me. He has not left or forsaken me. Job’s friends tried to tell him the same thing. Their assumption was that Job was being punished for some unconfessed sin and if he would just repent his life would be great again. That’s the false preaching of the prosperity gospel.  Just because I’m afflicted at the moment, doesn’t mean I am being punished for something or that I need to do something or learn something to get back into his good graces or to be freed from this circumstance. It also doesn’t guarantee that if I confess, repent, or do this unspecified something that my circumstance will change. I can’t control these things but I can be mindful that God is with me in it—crying with me, lifting me up and holding me in his arms as we go through it together. I am not alone. Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword? For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:35-36; 38-39
  2. This is all temporary. This life and this circumstance even more so. Even if it exists for the rest of my life, it is a small drop in the ocean of time my soul will know. Someday, God will bring me home with him and this struggle will be a faint memory. I can get through this moment no matter how bad it may be when I know in my heart that won’t, it can’t, last forever.
  3. I have already been through the worst thing in my life and I am alive and well and praising Jesus for the hope my story brings others. Not everyone can say that. Some may still have the worst thing in their lives yet to come. To you I say, “You can endure.” God doesn’t give us anything that he can’t handle – all we need to do is rely on him, give him the load and wait and watch to see what he will do with it.  I’ve not only survived, but I am now an overcomer, a conqueror by the grace and power of God.

1 comment:

Common Household Mom said...

Your point 1 is so very true. I am sorry to hear that things have been difficult. I pray for you often.