Monday, May 1, 2017

Holy Spirit Word Study 1 Cor 2:4-5

My message and my preaching were not with wise and persuasive words, but with a demonstration of the Spirit’s power, so that your faith might not rest on human wisdom, but on God’s power. 1 Corinthians 2:4-5

I always find it amazing when God chooses to reveal his message, his nature, his plan for salvation and his desire to be in relationship with us through the most unlikely people. For example, I’m sure you’ve seen one of those social experiment videos that show the selfless generosity of a homeless individual who is given a sandwich and shares it with others. I am in utter disbelief that someone who has no idea if and when their next meal is coming would share the little food they have with another. I’d like to think I would do the same, but I don’t know that I would.

God has a history of picking the most unlikely people to work through in his mission and ministry to reconcile us to himself. I’m reminded of Moses who was a murderer with a speech impediment whom God called to be his spokesperson and lead God’s people into a future where integrity and submission to God’s will were the foundation of their nation’s identity.

Too often as humans, we look to the well-dressed, articulate, well-educated professional as the source of all wisdom. I’m not saying God doesn’t speak through well-dressed, articulate, well-educated professionals. I’m saying that we too often let our perceptions dictate who is creditable and who isn’t. When it comes to matters of faith, that criteria can be detrimental to our growth as disciples and God’s ministry through us in our world.

So how do I know who is creditable and who isn’t when it comes to statements and actions that challenge my understanding of faith. I go to the source—Jesus who is the Word of God in flesh. I go straight to the bible with an open mind and heart to see if this new idea that is challenging my faith is in line with who the bible says Jesus is. I ask the Spirit to reveal to me how I am to consider this new-found understanding. I discuss it with my inner circle of faith friends to look at it from other points of view. Ultimately, I rely on God to help me see the ideology, statement, situation, etc. in question for what it really is and ask his help to reject if necessary or accept and integrate it into my faith life as his truth.

God created me as an intelligent, creative human being with free will. I can’t be the unique woman he had in mind if I’m believing blindly in a religious platform because someone who has human credentials says I should. I also can’t be against something because some unlikely person is the source. If my faith can’t be tested and come out a stronger, more mature, more intimate understanding of who God is and who I am to God then it’s a faith not worth having.

1 comment:

Common Household Mom said...

Well said! It would be easier to stop at this step: "I go straight to the bible" but that would be incomplete.